[email protected] 0292644599

Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)


This visa allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student under the age of 18 who is studying on a student visa in Australia.


You must :-

  • Be a parent or someone with custody of the student, or a relative 21 years of age or older who has been nominated in writing by a parent or someone with custody of the student.
  • Except in specific circumstances, do not bring family members under the age of six.
  • Unless you are applying for this visa with the backing of your home country’s government, you must be able to offer accommodation, general welfare, and other support to the student.

Pre-qualifying visa:

If you apply in Australia, you must have a current substantive temporary visa that does not include any of the following:

  • Temporary Domestic Worker – Diplomatic or Consular visa (subclass 426)
  • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) issued in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) category.
  • Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – exclusively for the principal visa holder. This means that a family member of a diplomat with a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia.
  • Visa for transit (subclass 771).
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the ‘Sponsored Family’ or ‘Approved Destination Status’ categories.

A substantive temporary visa is any visa that is not a bridging, criminal justice, or enforcement visa.
It allows the visa holder to stay in Australia temporarily.

Bringing children:

You can only bring children under six years old if either:

  • There are compelling and humanitarian reasons for doing so.
  • The issuance of the visa would have a major positive impact on the relationship between the Australian government and the government of another country. If this is the case, you must be at least 21 years old, and the student must have written support from a parent or someone with custody.

The child must meet the same health requirements as you and be covered by health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.

Children aged six and above may accompany you, but they must apply for their own student visa.